KXIP vs KKR Live Score

It reportedly took a team of experts seven hours to remove the mammoth tumour at the BYL Nair Charitable Hospital in Mumbai.

Surgeons in India have successfully removed a 4-pound, 2-ounce brain tumor that they believe to be the world's largest.

For the past several years, Santlal Pal had been watching a tumor emerge from his skull.

Pal is now recuperating in the Intensive Care Unit and in stable condition.

Doctors said Mr Pal had lost his vision because of the tumour but hoped he would regain it as he continued to recover from the operation.

According to Nadkarni, the 31-year-old shopkeeper has been wrestling with the massive brain tumor for the past three years. Our Indian doctors have made one such achievement. The fact which makes this all the more astonishing is that the tumour weighs an unbelieveable 1.87 kilo grams which according to doctors might be the largest extracted tumour globally.

Reaching a size larger than the patient's actual head, the tumor was principally growing in the space between the skull and the scalp - though 10 percent was protruding into his brain.

The doctors said that the pressure on the brain led to the patient losing his eyesight. "We have not found any tumor as big as this". If the tumor had not been removed, future growth likely would have led to lasting neurological damage and paralysis. "We had to cut open the scalp and remove the tumor. The part of the tumor within the skull was removed by making an opening in the skull", Nadkarni said.

Mr Pal needed a transfusion of 11 units of blood and then spent three days on life support afterwards but has since made a good recovery.

"Now it's a matter of recovery but he's out of danger", Dr Trimurti Nadkarni, chief of neurosurgery, told the BBC. "We are praying that he regains his vision", Pal's wife told the Hindu. He had also gone blind as a result of the tumour.

Doctors already sent the tumor for biopsy and results are expected next week.

The previous heaviest tumour to be successfully excised from a patient who survived the procedure was three pounds.