A dog nearly died when its owner chose to use human hair dye to color the pet purple.
She was limp and listless, with eyes swollen shut and deep painful burns across her tiny body.
Vets gave her medication in an effort to reduce the pain she was suffering, and washed off as much of the chemical dye as they could.
They were then able to shave her fur to assess the damage and were shocked to see that her skin had started to shed. "Let's all say that together-Do NOT, under any circumstances, use hair color intended for humans on your pets", the post warned.
'It was clear - Violet was on the mend and she wanted everyone to know it'.
They said: "Violet began to tell us what to do - it started with a little noise; not really a bark, not really a cry".
Dying your hair neon colours might be all the rage on humans these days, but an animal shelter in Florida has issued a stern warning not to pass the style on to pets. Some pet lovers also like to make their companions look distinct, but may go overboard in their attempts sometimes. Would her hair ever grow back?
People can be idiots when it comes to their pets.
After her long road to recovery that included lots of painkillers, antibiotics, scab removal, and even being connected to a drip for a while, she is now healthy again and has a new home thanks to the kind folk who rescued her.
"When the final badges came off we breathed a collective sigh of relief - Violet was lovely".
One 2013 study by Tufts University detailed the case of one eight-year-old Border Collie who had ingested natural hair dye - henna - and developed a life-threatening case of anemia.
Three months later she was a new dog, happily barking away and wandering the halls of the shelter with a short haircut and pink-tinged fur.
After discovering that the dog's skin had already begun to slough off, the team started her treatment immediately. "Shes really sassy, but shes wonderful".