"Our Community Standards prohibit content that promotes or encourages suicide or any other type of self-injury, including self-mutilation and eating disorders", a Facebook spokesperson said in a statement to Global News. The increase in popularity of these videos - the American Association of Poison Control Centers says they received 39 phone calls regarding ingestion of the detergent packs in the first 15 days of 2018 - prompted the association to issue a warning on January 16.
The so-called "Tide Pod Challenge" has hit CT.
What should Tide PODs be used for?
Eating a Tide POD is a BAD IDEA, and we asked our friend @robgronkowski to help explain. "This is bad. Children are going to see these and associate them with Tide Pods", one Facebook user wrote. The scary posts show teens ingesting the laundry packets in "creative ways" by placing them on top of food, biting into them, or putting them on their tongues.
Over the past couple days, Tide has been responding to these messages in real time on Twitter, directing those who say they swallowed the pods or put them in their mouth to first call poison control, then update Tide about their health.
That's because there are severe health risks related to eating laundry detergent.
Dr. Alfred Aleguas Jr., managing director of the Florida Poison Information Center in Tampa, told USA TODAY that the College Humor video could result in a "life-threatening" situation. In some cases, some of the detergent could even find its way into the lungs and cause breathing difficulties.
Now, there are laundry pods you won't mind letting your kids eat - mainly because they're actually donuts.
Noble urges parents to only use laundry pods when children aren't present and to keep packages of laundry pods sealed and out of reach when not in use. "Whatever the circumstances are, whatever the age of the person, it's not meant as a joke and it's not a risk worth taking", she said.