"As we speak, the vessel, Seabed Constructor, is now on her way to the search area, taking advantage of the favourable weather conditions in the South Indian Ocean". The previous search effort and the wreckage found have allowed researchers to revise their assessments on the search area, underpinning Ocean Infinity's confidence in finding the aircraft, CEO Oliver Plunkett said.
"It is my hope that we will find the answer that we seek for almost four years and bring some closure to this unfortunate incident", Malaysian Transport Minister Liow Tiong Lai said at a press conference outside Kuala Lumpur.
The Malaysian government has approved a new attempt to find the wreckage of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 in the Indian Ocean, the Transport Minister said Saturday.
The payment for the search will be borne by the Malaysian government.
In the initial search for the plane, a 52-day surface search covered an area of several million square kilometers (square miles) in the Indian Ocean west of Australia, before an underwater search mapped 710,000 square kilometers (274,000 square miles) of seabed at depths of up to 6,000 meters (20,000 feet).
Malaysian Minister of Transport Liow Tiong Lai, center, speaks at a press conference during MH370 missing plane search operations signing ceremony between the government of Malaysia and the Ocean Infinity Limited in Putrajaya, Malaysia, Wednesday, Jan. 10, 2018.
"We came to the conclusion that it is important for us to continue this mission to finally find some answers and closure", he said.
"We can finish the first 25,000 square kilometres in three to four weeks". The search operation became the costliest in aviation history.
The ship tasked with finding the missing plane is named The Seabed Constructor and departed from South Africa one week ago to properly position itself for the search, TheNYT reports.
When the Australian-led hunt was suspended last January, it sparked criticism from families of those on board and some experts that it was called off too soon.
Ocean Infinity had dispatched a research vessel earlier this month towards the expected search area.
MH370, carrying 239 on board, went missing en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing on March 8, 2014.
No sign of the plane was found in the search zone selected by satellite analysis of the flight's projected trajectory.