The posts included several screen captures allegedly taken by US forces shepherding an ISIS convoy, protecting them from Russian and Syrian forces. Russia said the Americans actively interfered with Russian airstrikes, to provide cover for the Isis fighters.
The tweet says that "the ministry of defence shows irrefutable evidence that USA are actually covering ISIS combat units to recover their combat capabilities, redeploy, and use them to promote American Interests in the Middle East". According to PCGamesN, the screenshot is from a gameplay footage video for a game called AC-130 Gunship Simulator which was uploaded to YouTube by its developer.
Soon after people noted the dubious origin of the photographs, the defence ministry deleted its tweets, and removed the photographs from the corresponding Facebook posts.
The military stood by its allegations saying "the refusal of USA command to inflict strikes on ISIL convoys on November 9 is an established fact recorded in the transcript of conversations".
Russia's defense ministry on Tuesday posted images it said proved the U.S. was aiding the Islamic State jihadist group in the Middle East, but social media users pointed out they included a still from a videogame.
Russia, which entered the conflict in late 2015 on the side of Bashar al-Assad's government, has long accused the west of backing extremist groups in Syria.
A later press release said it had launched a probe into the actions of a civilian employee of one of its subdivisions who "mistakenly attached photos" to the first version of its statement.
"I certainly can't verify, but I've seen the report that one of the pictures came from a video game".
USA military spokesman Colonel Ryan Dillon called the Russian statements a "barrage of lies", saying they were "as accurate as their air campaign". Earlier this year, Russian President Vladimir Putin showed American filmmaker Oliver Stone video on his cell phone he claimed was recent video footage of Russian troops fighting the Islamic State.