The debate over Charlie's life is about balancing the moral dilemma of parental rights versus the state's duties to protect the wellbeing of children.
That's right. The hospital refused to allow the mother to breast feed her child and refused to allow them to seek alternative treatment on their own dime, at no cost to taxpayers.
"The domestic courts concluded that it would be lawful for the hospital to withdraw life-sustaining treatment because it was likely that Charlie would suffer significant harm if his present suffering was prolonged without any realistic prospect of improvement and the experimental therapy would be of no effective benefit", the court said in a press release announcing the decision Tuesday.
The family received donations totalling more than £1.3m to take Charlie to the U.S. for therapy.
Charlie's parents also asked the courts to consider whether it would be in the best interests of their son to undergo experimental treatment in the US.
"Baby Charlie", as he came to be known, can not breathe on his own, has seizures, and suffered severe brain damage as a result of his disease.
The couple said they had been told Charlie's life support would be switched off on Friday, but the hospital has confirmed they are working on plans for the baby's care and to give his family more time with him.
Chris Gard and Connie Yates wanted 10-month-old Charlie, who has a form of mitochondrial disease - a genetic condition that causes progressive muscle weakness and brain damage - to have experimental treatment in the US. "Please respect our privacy while we prepare to say the final goodbye to our son Charlie".
Center-right Forza Italia Senator Lucio Malan called on Italian President Sergio Mattarella to "intervene with Queen Elizabeth" in order for the child not to be taken off life support, which he said was an "execution".
His parents said they had been denied their final wish to be able to take their son home to die and felt "let down" following the lengthy legal battle. Specialists have said the proposed therapy wouldn't help Charlie.
Gard and Yates sought to overturn the ruling at the Court of Appeal, but Mr Justice McFarlane upheld the decision that taking Charlie to the U.S. would "expose Charlie to harm" with little hope of improving his condition.
A Great Ormond Street spokesperson stated that there is "no rush" to end Charlie's treatment.
The post adds, "We and most importantly Charlie have been massively let down throughout this whole process".